Friday, January 24, 2014

HOPE - the secret to remaining happy despite life's challenges




All of us have different circumstances that make us struggle at one time or another.  For some, with health problems for example, this struggle may be a daily occurrence.  Maintaining a positive attitude despite your circumstance will really help you, and those around you, feel better.  No doubt, when you are struggling with something, this can be a real challenge. 

The other day I was with my physiotherapist.  She was giving me some exercises to do and insisted that they do nothing to improve my walking, but will only help me maintain where I am today (which is pretty bad at the moment).  Try as I might to convince her otherwise, she contended that I would remain as I am no matter how I tried to improve myself.  I refused to argue with her any further, but believed in my heart that she was wrong and left.

Her opinion could have really demoralized me, but it didn't.  Why?  In one word:  HOPE.  I always hope to get better and really believe it.  I have been told that I have an illness that progresses with time, but that won't stop me from having the hope that it won't be true for me.  In fact, it hasn't been true for many people who have gotten better and lead normal lives today.  The ones who improved had hope, and used healthy diets, exercise and meditation to get better and to improve their quality of life.  Research is being conducted around the clock to find a cure and/or find ways to better manage the symptoms of this illness.  I also believe in miracles. They do happen and I have the belief that they can happen for me too.  I've seen it happen for others, so why not me? 

Most of the people we meet have good intentions and they aren't trying to hurt us with their negative comments.  Many, like my physiotherapist, just don't want people like me to have unrealistic expectations.  Never lose hope though.  No one knows what is around the corner.  A cure perhaps?  A surgery that could change your life?  A new product that could mimic walking as well as a person without this illness?  Who knows, but there are dozens of possibilities that could change your life for the better overnight.

Have hope that you will get better, and you will immediately feel better!  You will be inspired and propelled to do your best to help yourself get better.  And when I do, I will pay a visit to my physiotherapist and show her that miracles do happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment