Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The law of attraction is physics continued...

As I mentioned in my previous post, many people had been trying to set me up with Barry who had voiced his disinterest in the past.  I forgot to mention that Barry is a doctor which will only be important in the sense that everyone wanting to set me up kept mentioning this.  I continued to disregard their requests until the 8th and last one occurred because of its oddity.

Before the oddity - on August 23, 2008 I remember feeling incredibly grateful as I was writing in my journal but had connected my passion for finding the man I wanted with what I was describing over time.  I remember writing the following in my journal with a huge smile on my face, sparkle in my eye and passion in my veins (for the first time)

"I want to meet a man who is kind, sweet, loving, caring, passionate, concerned, sensitive to my needs, worldy, intelligent, financially stable, tall, dark hair, physically fit or partially active, humble, enjoys staying home more than going out, runs or jogs, is honest, learns from mistakes, understanding, wise, spiritual, warm, affectionate, loves me for who I am."

Yes I know this is quite a big list, but at the same time it was an honest one, where I was able to identify traits on which I wouldn't compromise and ones where I would.  The person with whom I wanted to share my life HAD to be kind, sweet, loving, caring, passionate, concerned (which meant compassionate), sensitive to my needs, intelligent, financially stable, somewhat active, humble, honest, learns from mistakes, understanding, wise, spiritual, warm, affectionate and loves me for who I am.  The traits on which I would compromise were tall, dark hair, enjoys staying at home more than going out, runs or jogs.

Now back to my 8th set up:

In the beginning of September my friend went out to a restaurant to celebrate a birthday with a close friend.  When they were being seated by the hostess they happened to start a conversation about whether she was single.  She informed them that she had recently been set up with someone whom she was dating but continued to say she was to be originally set up with another man.  She heard so many good things about this man, a doctor, that she asked my friend if he knew a nice single with whom she can fix him up.  My friend immediately called me from the restaurant and said, do you want to be fixed up?  I was quite confused by the call and the question - more disoriented - because I knew he had just gone out for dinner with his friend, who was married.  What could have happened from then to now that caused him to want to set me up with someone.... I said, what are you talking about? With who? He said, I don't know his name but he's supposed to be a really nice man and a doctor.  I said, is his name Barry?  He didn't even know his name and I knew immediately, oh my goodness it's Barry!  After several days, we discovered that it was the same Barry and I thought, the universe MUST be telling me something.  I simply wasn't listening.

Although I thought he wasn't interested, it seemed that the universe, something or someone (many of them) wanted us to go out on a date.  I thus went into Facebook, looked him up and sent him a message.  I briefly told him how many people approached me over the past year about setting us up for a date and asked if he would be interested in going out for supper.  I also told him, knowing or thinking that he wasn't interested, to feel completely comfortable in telling me if he`s uninterested as I understood that we all have our preferences and I may not be his.  This was my way of telling him the "banana story" I had once heard on the oprah show.

The banana story is about some people liking bananas while others don't but there's nothing wrong with the banana!  If I was a banana and he didn't like them, then I knew there was nothing wrong with me but it was ok for him to tell me that he preferred strawberries : )

He responded that he would love to go out for dinner.  In mid-September 2008 we met at a restaurant, I wore flat shoes intentionally, and we had an incredible time.  It was first time I felt interested in going with someone a second time because he intrigued me.  I could tell already that he was intelligent, worldly, fun, active and really, really nice and sweet.

Five years later, we're married and have just celebrated our daughter's 3 year birthday!!  It turns HE IS ALL THE TRAITS ONE WHICH I WOULDN'T COMPROMISE and NONE OF THE ONES ON WHICH I WOULD!

I think it's important to make the "compromise" and "non-compromise" list.  To me it equates to the 3rd of law of physics again - for every positive you have to have a negative.  You will not get everything you want and HE WILL NOT BE PERFECT BUT HE MUST BE PERFECT FOR YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Kathy! I smiled the whole time I read this. You and Barry are the best bananas I know! xo

    ReplyDelete